With the temperatures expecting to hit record highs this weekend residents are encouraged to stay hydrated and to avoid excessive outside activities during the peak temperatures of the day. During this time of the day try to stay in an air conditioned location. If you do not have an air conditioner the following locations will be open this weekend to help you stay cool; Silver Falls Library and Silverton Senior Center. Some other locations to consider go to a theater and catch a show or head to your favorite restaurant.
Here are some additional tips for helping to cope with the high heat;
- Drink plenty of water; even if you do not feel thirsty. Avoid drinks with caffeine. Persons who have epilepsy or heart, kidney, or liver disease; are on fluid-restricted diets; or have a problem with fluid retention should consult a doctor before increasing liquid intake.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors who do not have air conditioning and who spend much of their time alone.
- Check on your animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat.
- Go to a designated public shelter if your home loses power during periods of extreme heat. Stay on the lowest floor out of the sunshine if air conditioning is not available.
- Check the weather/listen to NOAA Weather Radio for critical updates from the National Weather Service (NWS).
If you decide to go to the water to avoid the heat, avoid drinking alcoholic beverages, swim with a buddy, wear a life jacket and avoid risky behavior (know what is below the surface before jumping in).
For more information about ways to deal with the heat visit www.ready.gov/heat